Uploading GEDCOMS for Hints

/
0 Comments
I was reading over at Genea-Musings about FindMyPast and how they have hints, and also on FamilySearch where they also have hints.  Both sites which I have accounts for but was unsure I ever uploaded a GEDCOM.

The first site I went to was FindMyPast, which my account still works, but there was no GEDCOM ever uploaded.
Step 1, create a new GEDCOM,
Step 2.  Upload said GEDCOM.

That was pretty quick.  Now I waited to see what hints might pop up.  After about a 1/2 hour I had 14 hints that were available.  Then I realized I needed a subscription to verify said hints.  Currently none of the hints were of any real importance as they were for some of the off-shoots of my family tree.

Next I went to FamilySearch, which I thought only member of the LDS could upload GEDCOMs so I never looked into it.  I logged into the account and all I could find was to create a tree from scratch until I did a Google Search for 'Upload GEDCOM FamilySearch".  I am sure there were directions somewhere but it was quicker to do the Google Search.

So back to Step 1, and then Step 2.

Now I am sitting at the screen with 600 potential matches, 676 need to be added to the tree and 1000 invalid and living.  This might take longer then I expected to go through.  Should be a fun project probably over the course of a month or so.

I do like that I  have the possibility of more ways to get hints, but now I have to remember if I update in one place I have to update in another place also.

I currently have a trees at:

Ancestry.com
Myheritage.com
Geni.com
FindmyPast.com
FamilySearch.org

And I would bet that Ancestry.com is the most accurate, followed by FamilySearch and FindMyPast.  I have not even logged into Geni in probably 6 months, same with MyHeritage.

Wish there was an easier way to sync all these online accounts to have the same information.
If there is such software please let me know.




You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.