Yesterday we lost a shipmate : BMCS Robinson

/
0 Comments
I have been posting Obituaries on Sundays for a long time now, but for the most part they are from far gone relatives that I did not know. Today is one of the first times I am trying to write about someone that I knew. Someone who was way to young to be taken from us.

Over the weekend I found out that BMCS Robinson passed away. I have not heard the full story, but I really don't need to know it at this point. All that I do know is that we lost a great chief, a leader, and a shipmate to us all way to early.
 
Boats was one of the first chiefs I met when I arrived at my first command, USS PAUL HAMILTON out of Pearl Harbor, HI. At the time he was Chief Boatswain's Mate (BMC) of the ship.  He was a great chief, a dependable chief, solid with his word.  I remember Boats when I was up for ESWS pin, I had to do a walk through with him for aviation requirements to finish up my board.  He made it easier for me to understand and I was able to get my ESWS Pin.  He was one of those chief's you looked up to, always saying when you make chief that's how you want to be.  He was always fair to his sailors, and would help them any way he could.

After I left the Paul Hamilton, I only got to see Boats on rare occasions. I remember seeing him in San Diego as he was on the precom for the USS New Orleans, and if I also remember he stayed on that ship for a good spell I think he even retired from that command.

I recently saw Boat's I think it was the day before his retirement shopping at the Navy Exchange 0n 32nd street in San Diego.  It was great to see him again after so long, and we talked for a long while before he had to get back to shopping.  I remember he had a smile that was caring but also looked devious at times.

Over on Facebook, sailors from the USS Paul Hamilton are changing their profile pictures to that of BMCS Robinson's retirement picture in remembrance of a great man.  If you served with him on board the Paul Hamilton or any other command I urge you to do the same and change your profile picture. 

Fair winds, and following seas Boats....


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.